If you plan to study in Australia there are various types of study visas depending upon your plans in Australia. Studying in Australia may lead to becoming eligible for a further provisional or Permanent Residency visa. However, any study you intend to undertake must be for the advancement of your education or career.

The visa information about Australian student visa should only be used as a guide. If a particular visa is appropriate for your particular circumstances, then we would request you to contact us for a complete and thorough assessment of the best visa that suits your needs and circumstances:

Student Visa under Subclass 500:

If you want to apply for a registered full-time course in Australia, you need to apply for student visa under subclass 500. This visa allows you to study at a registered education institute in Australia. Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia. In order to apply for student visa in Australia, you need to fulfill certain criteria related to temporary entrant requirement, health insurance, English language requirements, financial capacity requirements and changing courses.

Student Visas granted before 30 June 2016

Please note that all the below listed visas applications are closed effective 1 July 2016.

  • Independent English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELIOS) sector visa (subclass 570):
    • The subclass 570 visa allowed an applicant to stay in Australia to study a full time English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELIOS).
  • School Visas – Subclass 571:
    • A school sector visa allowed applicants to study full time courses in Australia.
  • Vocational Education and Training Sector – Subclass 572:
    • This visa allowed applicants to stay in Australia to study a full-time vocational education and training course.
  • Higher Education Sector under Subclass 573:
    • This visa allowed applicants to study full time in a university level course in higher education sector.
  • Postgraduate Research Sector Visa Subclass 574:
    • This visa allowed applicants to study a master degree by research or a doctoral degree in Australia.
  • Non Award Sector Visa Subclass 575:
    • This visa allowed applicants to study courses which provide non-award foundation studies.
  • Foreign Affairs or Defense Sector visa – Subclass 576:
    • This visa allowed an applicant to study full time course of any type in Australia, provided the applicant is sponsored by department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the department of Defense.
  • Student Guardian Visa – Subclass 590:
    • This visa allowed applicants to stay in Australia as the guardian of an international student younger than 18 years of age studying in Australia on a student visa.
  • Training Visa – Subclass 470:
    • This visa allowed applicants to take part in workplace based training to enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of territory study, field of expertise. This visa allowed to participate in a professional development training programmed in Australia.
  • Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485):
    • Temporary Graduate visa is for all International students who have recently graduated from Australian educational institution. This visa lets applicants to live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant. This visa category offers visa in two streams: Graduate Work stream allows international students with an eligible qualification who are a graduate and have the skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). Post-study work stream is for international students who graduate with higher education degree from an Australian education provider. Applications under post-study work stream are currently closed.
how can we help you?

Contact us at our office nearest to you or submit your inquiry online.

Me and my wife were really confused with the process of getting a PR Visa for Australia, so we did some research online and chose Visas abroad to help us. We finally received out Visa at the earliest all because of the efforts of the Visas abroad team. Two thumbs up and a Big YES for Visas Abroad if you are looking to get your visa.

Visas Abroad Client
Rohit Sharma