This visa is for skilled workers who want to work in Australia in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor for up to four years. You must be sponsored by an approved business. A business can sponsor someone for this visa if they cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the skilled work. You can be in or outside Australia when this visa is issued.

The Temporary Work visa allows foreign nationals or people residing in Australia to apply for work permit. This visa comes under the category of subclass 457. This visa allows skilled workers to work in Australia provided they get sponsored by approved Australian employer. This visa allows applicants to stay in Australia for up to four years.  An Australian employer who is unable to find Australian citizen or permanent resident to work can sponsor a candidate.

Eligibility Criteria for the Applicants:

If you have been sponsored by an approved employer and meet the following criteria:

  • You must be nominated to work in an approved occupation on the Skilled Occupation Lists.
  • You must have obtained a suitable skill assessment for the nominated occupation.
  • You must meet registration and licensing obligations.
  • You must have proper English speaking skills.
  • You must have been nominated by an approved Australian employer.
  • You must meet the health and character requirements.
  • You must not have any outstanding debt to Australian government.
  • You might be asked to submit biometrics as part of identity information.

Visa Benefits of Temporary Work Visa Subclass 457:

Temporary Work visa allows applicants to enjoy the following benefits:

  • Work in Australia for an approved sponsor till the time your visa is valid (which could be up to four years)
  • Bring members of your family to work or study in Australia
  • Travel in and out of Australia as often as you want

Checklist of documents for Temporary Work Visa Subclass 457:

When you are applying for visa under temporary work visa subclass 457, you would be required to attach all the relevant documents with the application. It is very important that you provide certified copies of original documents, you may also be asked to submit certain original documents as well. In case the documents are not in English, they must be translated in English by some accredited translators. You are required to submit scans of documents online, physical copies of documents are not required unless asked for specifically.

Documentation checklist for under temporary work visa subclass 457:

  • Documents related to occupation & skill:
  • A 457 skill assessment conducted by a registered training organization approved by Trades Recognition Australia. You cannot use the results of a VETASSESS qualifications only skill assessment obtained by Temporary Graduate for subclass 485 visa application.
    • Educational and Professional Qualification Certificate
    • Registration, licensing or professional membership, if required.
  • Documents from the relevant Australian registration and licensing authorities that show you hold, or will be able to meet, necessary registration and licensing requirements. The documents must specify following:
    • the type of registration or licensing held
    • the name and contact details for the registration or licensing authority
    • References from previous employees that cover a period sufficient to demonstrate the relevant skill level information (As per relevant number of years of experience relevant to the nominated occupation). These references must be on the letterhead of the company.
    • the name, title and contact details of referee
    • details of your position and dates of services
    • Your Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume, covering at least the last five years showing:
    • Full employment and educational history
    • dates and positions held
    • name, title and contact details of referees
  • Completed and Filled Application Form:
    • To apply for Permanent Regional Sponsored Skilled Migration Visa, you need to complete an application form available on the official website of Australian Immigration Authority.
    • Include Form 47a or Form 80 for any family member who is dependent on you:
      • In case, you have a child or other dependent member whose age is equal to or less than 18 years of age, you need to fill form 47a. If the age of the dependent person other than partner is above 18 years you need to fill Form 80.
      • In case you want to take your child younger than 18-23 years of age it is important to submit an evidence of their financial dependence.
  • Passport Copies: Certified copies of your current passports or travel documents of all people included in your application.
  • Name Change Document: If there is a name change or name of any applicant has changed, please provide evidence to support name change.
  • Identification proof including both parent names: A certified copy of your birth certificate clearly showing names of both the parents. In case you don’t have a birth certificate and cannot show any certified copy of identification pages you must show other certified proofs such as, family book showing parents, court-issued document, identification proof issued by government, etc…..
  • Education Qualification and Experience Related documents: While applying for any visa it’s very important to submit all the important documents related to educational qualification and professional work experience. You only need to submit certified copies of original documents unless specifically requested by Australian government for more such documents.
  • Relationship Status Information:
    • Certified copies of marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you and any other person included in your application is compulsory even if your partner may not be going to Australia with you.
    • If you are widowed, divorced, or are permanently separated, submit a certified copy of the death certificate or, divorce documents.
  • Character Information:
    • Police verification of you and all the other people in your application is compulsory to prove that the applicants have clean criminal records.
    • In case you or anyone in your family has worked with armed forces of any country, a certified scanned color copy of military service record or discharge paper is required.
  • Proof of age:

You must submit birth certificate or any other government certified proof of your age in order to apply for visa. You must be under 50 years of age unless you are exempted. Exemption is provided only to high skilled professionals like researcher, scientist, and medical practitioner.

  • English Language Eligibility:

In order to apply for Permanent Resident visa, it is very important to meet the language proficiency of English. You can appear for different English qualification tests, but you must meet the minimum eligibility score for that exam. You can give any one of the following listed exams:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Occupational English Test (OET)
  • Test of English Language internet Based Test (TOEFL bit)
  • Pearson Test English (PTE)
  • Cambridge Advanced English (CAE)
  • For each of your dependents aged 18 years or older, at the time you apply, one of the following conditions must be true:
    • They have functional English.
    • If they have less than functional English, a statement indicating that you intend to pay second visa application charge is required.

Processing time for temporary work Visa Subclass 457:

If you have submitted your visa application and are concerned with the amount of time it will take for your application to process, this section offers all the information you need. According to Australian Immigration Department website, the average processing time for applications filed under temporary work Visa Subclass 457 is around 2-3 months.

But, every case file is unique and the time of processing depends on the information provided by you along with supported documents. You can track your application online on the department website to know the application status.

Obligations for temporary work Visa Subclass 457:

The condition is only relevant to a primary holder of subclass 457 visa. You must:

  • only work in your nominated occupation
  • start work within 90 days of arrival in Australia if you were outside Australia when your visa was granted
  • only work for the sponsor, who nominated the position you are working in (if your sponsor is a standard business sponsor and is an Australian business, you can also work for an associated entity of the sponsor
  • not cease employment for a period of more than 60 consecutive days
  • obtain any license, registration or membership necessary to perform your occupation in Australia and comply with any provisions and if your visa was granted after 1 December 2015 you must also:
    • Hold the license, registration or membership within 90 days of arrival in Australia
    • Not engage in work that is inconsistent with your license, registration or membership
    • Notify us in writing as soon as practicable if your application for the license, registration, or membership is refused
    • Notify us in writing as soon as practicable if your license, registration or membership cease to be in force or is revoked or cancelled

Visas Abroad continues to grow every day as hundreds of its happy customers walk out with visa. You get best results when both consultants and clients work together in a mutually beneficial association. Immigration is a long journey starting with the complexity of understanding immigration process, evaluating your skills and qualifications, fulfilling document requirements, to finally applying visa on Invitation. Our job is to simply these complexities. We deal with all types of visas such as PR visa, TR visa, Study visa, visit visa, etc…

how can we help you?

Contact us at our office nearest to you or submit your inquiry online.

Me and my wife were really confused with the process of getting a PR Visa for Australia, so we did some research online and chose Visas abroad to help us. We finally received out Visa at the earliest all because of the efforts of the Visas abroad team. Two thumbs up and a Big YES for Visas Abroad if you are looking to get your visa.

Visas Abroad Client
Rohit Sharma