Applicants for a number of visa subclasses need to first lodge an Expression of Interest and only the best candidate will receive invitation to lodge their applications. The Australian Skilled Migration program is a platform for skilled workers or business professional to immigrate to Australia.
The information below should only be used as a guide. If you want better, clearer understanding on which particular visa is appropriate for your circumstances, then we would request you to Contact Us. The team of expert consultants of Visas Abroad will provide you the knowledge, support and understanding needed to turn your dreams of living abroad a reality.
What is Skill Select?
SkillSelect is an online application system which allows interested skilled and business professionals to apply for immigration to Australia. You need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect.
SkillSelect helps the Australian government in addressing the shortage of skilled workers in Australian state or territory. SkillSelect also helps to solve skill shortage problem in Regional Australia. Regional Australia is an area which is low population growth metropolitan area in Australia and consists of all of Australia outside of major cities like Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Wollongong, Newcastle and the Gold coast. This online system allows immigrants to live, work in Regional Australia.
What is Expression OF Interest?
To apply for permanent residence visa, you first need to check your eligibility through online tests to evaluate your point based eligibility to apply for Australian immigration. Once you find your profile is suitable for Australian immigration and your occupation falls in the skilled occupation list; you can create an online profile on Australian immigration website. Once you filled the information about your age, educational and professional qualification, English language proficiency, partner skills, and nomination by state or territory, nomination by family members.
Expression of Interest allows eligible skilled or business professionals to show their interest in immigrating to Australia through Skill Select.
How to apply through Skill Select?
Skill Select is an online tool which has a set of questions to identify your age, skill, language proficiency, visa category under which you wish to apply. The SkillSelect online tool calculates an applicant’s eligibility by allocating points based on different factors. To have a better understanding of point based system of Australia please visit visasabroad.com/Australia-visas/Australia Point Based System/
SkillSelect evaluates an applicant’s profile based on the below factors:
- basic personal information, relationship information of family members accompanying you to Australia
- occupation for which you have been nominated
- relevant work experience for the nominated occupation
- study and education
- level of English skills
- details of skills assessment by appropriate assessment body related to your nominated occupation
- in case you are applying under business and investment visa category, you must demonstrate some experience in handling business or investment
If your skills are found relevant to labor market needs of Australia you will be invited to apply by Australian employer or state and territory government or Australian government. Once you receive an Invitation to apply, you can now send your application, pay visa fees and other charges and then attach the relevant documents.
Which visas can be applied through Skill Select?
You can submit Expression of Interest through SkillSelect; you can apply under the following category:
- Skilled Independent Visa under subclass 189
- Skilled Nominated visa under subclass 190
- Skilled Nominated or Sponsored Provisional visa under subclass 489
- Business Talent Visa under subclass 132
- Business Innovation and Investment visa under subclass 188
There are 3 more visas which can be applied incase the applicant is nominated by an approved Australian employer:
- Temporary Work visa under subclass 457
- Employer Nomination Scheme visa under subclass 186
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa under subclass 187
Please note that you need to specify the following details while submitting Expression of Interest:
- you need to specify which visa subclass and stream you intend to apply in
- if you want to get sponsorship from state or territory, government, one or all Australian state and territories