Canada is a beautiful country and often claimed to be a land of opportunities. There are various ways how a foreign individual can work temporarily in Canada. Temporary workers can still apply for Permanent Residency while still working in Canada.

These temporary workers will need to meet certain criteria in order to be eligible to apply for Permanent Residency. Here we discuss four Canadian Immigration programs for temporary skilled workers. These workers can opt for Permanent Residency after meeting certain criteria.

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

If a candidate is working with a Canadian employer on a temporary work permit, the employer can choose to make a permanent employment offer to the candidate. Post the offer, the candidate may be able to apply for permanent residency to Canada under FSWP.

This kind of offer is usually called arranged employment. In order to meet the permanent residency, the candidate will need to meet the set criteria. These criteria include the candidate’s age, education, language skills and a job offer. The process for the same can take up to 12-18 months.

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Canadian Experience Class is the popular and most sought program for temporary workers who do not meet the required points. Temporary workers can use their work experience in Canada to apply for Canadian Experience Class.

Applicants wishing to apply for permanent residency are required to have two years of work experience while being under the CEC program. Alternatively, an applicant who has completed the secondary education and has one year of work experience.

The candidate under the CEC program must meet either of the two requirements mentioned before to be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

Every province of Canada has its own Provincial Nominee Program. These PNP programs allow candidates to apply for permanent residency to Canada.

Applicants applying under the PNP program must intend to reside in the corresponding province for a time of two years before applying for PR. Any application for permanent residency while serving the PNP can take 12-18 months.

Quebec Experience Class (QEC)

Quebec Experience Class allows temporary workers to apply for permanent residency to Canada. The Quebec Experience Class is much like the Canadian Experience Class but comes with additional requirements.

Quebec Experience Class candidates will need to have worked in a skilled profession in demand in Quebec for at least one year. They should be able to talk French at an intermediate level.

A Quebec Selection Certificate is given to the candidate who turns out to be successful. All of this allows the respective candidate to apply for permanent residency. The process for PR while being a temporary worker under QEC can take up to one year.


Author: visasabroad
Visas Abroad Services LLP dealing with Canada, Australia & New Zealand permanent residency visa under skilled worker category.